Sunday, March 1, 2015

Meditation Made Easy

In my life I've found Catholic mental prayer (or meditation) an invaluable resource for coping with life's challenges. Whenever I'm faced with some new medical issue it's easy for my chicken little mind to send me into panic mode. My daily meditation time is the one spiritual practice that helps me cope.
It also helps me find that personal relationship with God that is so vital. Teresa of Avila states it best:

“Mental prayer in my opinion is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with Him who we know loves us

I've found a great series of podcasts about mental prayer. Located at Regina Prophetarum, its' series on mental prayer is outstanding. Regina Prophetarum is a website of sermon podcasts on every conceivable spiritual subject. The priests are faithful to the teachings of the church and are excellent speakers. The mental prayer podcasts explain in simple, easy to understand language the basics of catholic meditation and prayer. In step-by-step examples the priest demonstrates that it's accessible to anyone. If you can't listen to all the  podcasts, the first one provides a complete summary of the process to get a beginner started.  It's the best!!