Monday, February 2, 2015

A Priest Examines Yoga

I discovered an excellent blog post at spritualdirection.com A Father Ezra Sullivan, O.P. provides a detailed analysis of Yoga from a Catholic point of view. It's a four part series that explains the true nature of yoga practice and it's implications spiritually. He successfully proves that:


  1. The typical yoga practice currently promoted in the West is not just "exercise." It's rooted in the Hindu religion.
  2. The philosophy of Yoga is incompatible with Catholic belief and thought
  3. Many Yoga studios and classes are religious in nature despite claims to the contrary.
  4. Hatha Yoga (the type in most classes) is a gateway to the other more spiritual Yoga practices
  5. Yoga is spiritually harmful to Catholics and should be avoided.
I'd like to say that my own experience with Yoga proves him right. I dabbled in it about 5-6 years ago to help with menopause symptoms. I started out in a "gentle yoga" class at the Y and also used DVDs at home. It did help  with the symptoms somewhat but I found myself becoming confused. I started feeling a general dislike for my Catholic faith and an increased interest in Eastern meditation. I wasn't a Carmelite at the time and wasn't involved much in my parish. I started attending more Yoga classes and eventually sat in on a meditation class at a studio. I didn't realize it at the time but I was drifting out of the Church.

What turned things around for me?

I began to backslide into certain sinful behaviors. I started to resent my husband and kids and my role as a mother. At one point I realized: I was being lead astray. 

On the day that I recognized this, I went to Eucharistic Adoration. That started to change things. I started making regular holy hours. Then, one day I found a pamphlet for the local chapter of the Secular Carmelites and my life really got on track. I found a much more suitable substitute and my life is better for it.

I don't think I would have survived my cancer treatment if it hadn't been for my Carmelite program. Catholic spirituality is so much more human and compassionate. It's a faith full of hope and I know that my God loves me and cares for me. It's a much better place to be.

Thank you Father Sullivan for reminding me of that!