Monday, January 26, 2015

Why I Blog

I feel compelled to discuss one of the reasons that I created this blog. Recently I was told of a patient who has decided not to pursue conventional treatment and go with "alternative" methods of care.  She has not opted to go the hospice route and give up.  This patient simply doesn't want to try standard therapies like surgery, chemo, etc.From her perspective methods like supplements, reiki, etc are just as effective.

So.... this is where it all leads....

Here's  how it plays out mathematically:

According to this patient she views treatment in the following way;

Surgery,
Chemo, radiation,etc  =   Reiki, Supplements, Yoga, etc.

This is very sad. I don't think this poor woman will be with us much longer. But how did this happen?

In my opinion I blame the medical profession. More specifically, I blame those practitioners who are pushing this nonsense. It's irresponsible. I'm sure that they didn't intend for patients to make this kind of choice but it's not that simple.

Nobody likes cancer treatment. It's painful, scary, and full of side effects. There's a natural tendency to want to avoid it. There's a natural impulse to avoid such unpleasantness. Let's be honest, oncologists are not the most popular doctors in town and there's a reason.
In my own cancer journey I even investigated a treatment center renown for it's use of "alternative and holistic" methods. I  didn't want to get cut, go bald from chemo, and possibly end up with lifelong side effects like osteoporosis.
But then I found out that my insurance wouldn't pay for it. That made me pause......Perhaps there's a reason. At that point I came to my senses and decided to get real and get with the program. I also remembered my sister-in-law who died of breast cancer. Did she fool around and avoid treatment? I don't know since I wasn't privy to her decision making. But I did see the results of her treatment choices. I was there when she died. I saw a 38-year old woman die and leave behind a husband and two young sons.  Well, that wasn't going to be me.

I made a decision to fight. Even if it's painful and scary, I'm doing it. I decided to trust conventional medicine and I"m glad I did. I also decided that if I couldn't suffer through this experience for myself then I'd do it for my children. I sure didn't want them to have to watch me die an unnecessary death.

But I don't think I'm alone in my struggle with treatment. I suspect most cancer patients try to run from it. It's human nature. It's also why it's important for medical professionals to be careful how they present treatment including these so-called "complementary" cures. Because people are going to take it the wrong way and make bad decisions.

As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Ultimately, we are judged by the results of our actions NOT by what we intended. Pushing bogus cancer care is negligent behavior and it's just a matter of time before it all ends up in court.