Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I'm Back!!

I've taken a hiatus from blogging. Like all cancer patients things frequently change and I'm no exception. First, my life got incredibly busy which was a good thing. But then in November I hit a wall and spiraled into an episode of depression. I was at my six month anniversary post surgery and everything hit me at once. I'm notorious for having a delayed reaction to trauma and that's what happened. Also, I injured my ankle while walking (I needed new shoes) and the lack of exercise made things worse. To make a long story short, I had a setback but now I"m okay.

What helped me out? Several activities made the difference:

  1. Adoration-I made a holy hour at least once a week; sometimes twice
  2. I discovered  art journaling
  3. I gave presents to my doctor, physical therapist in gratitude for their care
  4. Spent time with my kids, husband
  5. Used a new Bible with commentary for my daily meditation
  6. Led prayer at my Carmelite Community meeting even though I didn't want to
  7. Praying the Extraordinary Form of the Mass
  8. Getting back to walking 5 days a week
  9. Recognizing that's it time to change my treatment medication
I realize now that healing takes time. My body may have been on the mend but my pysche needed to catch up. I'm slowly but surely getting there. It takes time to regroup after a serious diagnosis like cancer. 

This Christmas I'm grateful to be alive and able to cook a special meal for my family. Life is a gift and I intend to live it to the full.