Monday, September 29, 2014

The Healing Veil

Veils by Lily - Soft Tulle Collection
Veils by Lily



I want to share about a very simple way that my faith tradition helped me heal. I'm talking about the good old fashioned chapel veil. During the last year I began attending the Extraordinary Form of the Mass. Wearing a veil is standard procedure for most women attending the Traditional Latin Mass so I naturally began to cover my head. Initially, I felt rather strange and it took me a while to get used to it.

But then I got breast cancer. That changed everything.

 Surgical treatment for this type of cancer can seriously impact a woman's body image. Even though I had a very supportive husband and family, I still felt traumatized on some level. I'm not obsessed with body image but I still struggled with my altered form.

But when I wear my veil I feel better. I feel whole again. I think it's because the veil is a reflection of my total self. My soul and my body are one; they are interconnected. I'm not a "ghost in a machine." My soul has gender and is still completely female despite my altered physique.

I think the veil is a beautiful celebration of motherhood and womanhood. In a society of gender neutral bathrooms and women in combat, the veil tells me it's okay to be a woman and mother. It also tells me that no matter what happens to my body, God still sees the whole woman in me.

Here's a great video about veiling: