Monday, October 10, 2016

I'm Back Again

I'm back after a very long hiatus. This last year was a very difficult one for me. My son was in an accident and nothing can change your perspective on things than a crisis with a child. He's okay now. But your perspective can change very quickly when you are visiting your son in the ICU. He's made a full recovery and is successfully started a new job but I definitely don't want to go through that again. 

However, I did gain something from the experience. I suddenly realized that I'm not as helpless as I thought and I even conquered my fear of flying. 
No..I'm not afraid of going in airplanes but I was fearful about getting lymphedema in my affected arm. This is a big issue for breast cancer survivors but luckily it didn't happen to me. Most importantly, I was challenged in ways I never could have dreamed of.  Here's some examples:
  • flew across country to the West Coast on a minutes notice at 3AM
  • slept on the floor of my son's apt for 6 weeks (an efficiency)
  • drove through rush hour traffic in downtown Portland Oregon (google maps can't even handle it)
  • thwarted an attempted break-in to my son's apt by a crazed druggie
  • navigated the Dallas-Fort Worth airport alone (it's got multiple terminals!)
I went through my own personal version of the TV series Survivor and I made it. As unpleasant as this episode was, I realized that I'm not as fragile as I thought. My cancer diagnosis may have slowed me down but I'm still me. 

I'm going to start posting again on some new resources I've found. I'll also provide an update on the issue of Yoga in the medical world. Sadly, it continues to become more prevalent. So.. stay tuned