Monday, August 25, 2014

The School of God



"The Hospital Bed is the School of God!"

I have no idea who said that but I really like that quote. While I was doing blog research I discovered a book by a Protestant entitled, Don't Waste Your Cancer.  I'm not endorsing this book; I haven't even read it nor do I intend to. But the title really struck me. It sums up my whole attitude about my diagnosis. Suffering is an opportunity for grace and character development. Sanctity is easy when things are running smoothly but trying to be patient when you're recovering from surgery or running from doctor to doctor is another matter.
I try to remember that all the big name saints suffered from various ailments and were known for not complaining. Teresa of Avila suffered from numerous ailments including severe headaches, chest pain and even physical paralysis at one point. How she managed with all her issues is an amazement to me.
There's a danger I frequently struggle with regarding my medical issues. Family and friends tend to feel sorry for me and want to give me some sort of free pass on behaving myself. Now, I appreciate their kindness but it's not what I need. Just because I'm dealing with an illness doesn't mean the 10 Commandments have been revoked. Now it may be a little more difficult to do the right thing at this point in my life, but I still need to follow though as best I can. Crabbiness and tantrums are downright undignified.
I recently attended a Cancer Support Group in my community and I didn't like the atmosphere. In addition to all the New Age activities, the discussion group cultivated an approach where group members adopted sickness as an identity. I felt like I would become a professional  Cancer patient if I stayed there. I'm not saying I shouldn't talk about my problems but I'm not going to center my existence around my illness. I'm so much more. I understand some folks need to do this but it's not for me.
I try to visualize my current life as a sort of training program or boot camp. God is my personal trainer and he 's gonna get me into shape. Here's a relevant bible verse:
Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.  (1Corinthians 9:24-27)
I just hope I make it through basic training!