Friday, August 22, 2014

The Rosary & Pain

   
                                             
         I'd like to start things off by sharing my number one cancer coping mechanism: THE ROSARY. It's the one resource I go to when all else fails. Recently, I went through an experience that proves just how effective it is.
I was awake one night in serious pain due to an arthritis flare in my shoulder. I'd been seeing a Physical Therapist to deal with Lymphedema and other post-op complications and I'd overworked my shoulder. Around 2 AM the pain wasn't responding to heavy doses of Naproxen and I was getting desperate. Anxiety began to overwhelm me and I starting praying the Rosary. Within minutes a voice in my head said, "It's the compression garment!"
It was then that I realized why I was so miserable. I was wearing underarmour to treat my lymphedema and I suddenly saw the problem: inflamed joints and compression don't mix. I took the shirt off and immediately fell asleep. The pain began to subside and eventually go away.
The Blessed Mother never fails.